Address: Barnardos, Loughlinstown Drive, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin.
Contact Name: Susana Nunez
Web site: www.barnardos.ie
Who can use the service?: Primary School children from Junior Infants to Sixth Class
Barnardos covers the total cost of training and materials. Ongoing costs of running the individual programmes (such as printing, photocopying, art materials, etc) are covered by hosting schools.
Informal referrals accepted: Yes
Formal referrals accepted: Yes
Referrals accepted from: Individuals interested in becoming Roots of Empathy instructors and Primary Schools interested in hosting the programme.
How to make a referral: Schools self refer or send an expression of interest form.
Roots of Empathy (ROE) is an evidence-based classroom programme that has demonstrated positive effect in reducing levels of aggression among school children by raising social/emotional competence and increasing empathy.
Key Aims & Objectives of Service
• To foster the development of empathy
• To develop emotional literacy
• To reduce levels of bullying, aggression and violence, and promote children's pro-social behaviours
• To increase knowledge of human development, learning, and infant safety
• To prepare students for responsible citizenship and responsive parenting
Barnardos was chosen as the Lead Agency to manage the delivery of Roots of Empathy in Ireland, with the exception of county Donegal where the HSE West is the lead agency.